Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A song for my son (the last one - son and song both? quis sais?)


This is one of about four songs / poems I've written for Adam (Son Shine, might be lost forever, but Mike Meyers, a local architect has it in his archives, which he hasn't looked through in 20 years ... sigh)

The inspiration for this was the time between the night Adam called me (well, his mom dialed to tell me Adam wanted to talk with me) to tell me he was not going to continue with his piano lessons. He was crying, fearful / tearful I suspect, because he knew how much I love the piano, and was worried he would disappoint me by wanting to quit. "Oh, no, Adam," I assured him, "I quit piano lessons too. This is the whole point of having raised you, so that you would be able to make these kinds of decisions for yourself."

I was nervous about what he would be like coming over on the weekend, but I needn't have been. He was SO damn happy, had so much fun with Scott, and Nathan (this was in the era B.G. - before Graham became a 1/2 brother and cousin). I was relieved; he had survived.

The sound of your laughter
Lingers long after
Long, after you're gone,
Sustaining me to carry on.

The light from your eyes
Cuts and shines through the darkest night surprise
And points the way
To a bright sun-shiny day.

The sound of your laughter
Lingers long after
Long, after you're gone,
Sustaining me to carry on.

The light from your eyes
Cuts and shines through the darkest night surprise
And points the way
To a bright sun-shiny day.

The sound of your laughter
Lingers long after
Long, after you're gone,
Sustaining me, feeding me, nourishing me, to carry on
Sustaining me to carry on.

The most remarkable thing about the poem / song (and which ever comes first, because the melody was, to the best of my cognitive functioning, an original) is that when I perform it, the length of time is over six and a half minutes. There are not even any vocals until about the two minute, twenty second point. Kind of like a Grateful Dead Jam that ultimately bears much fruit (honey, I love you).

With Love, to all of you reading this, to You, and ALL YOU LOVE - MarKUSS

No comments:

Post a Comment